My Twitter Updates

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Joey Lawrence's Catchphrase?


Whoa!!! I'm in running nerd heaven... As you may or may not know, I'm running my first marathon in April. I've been training with the TEAM off and on, and running on my own for quite a while.

The coolest thing so far in all my running has been my Nike + system for the ipod Nano. It truly is the reason that I'm where I'm at today in my running. You plug a little sensor into the bottom of your Nano; it talks to a shoe sensor; while you run, the Nano gives you feedback through your headphones. When you are done you get a summary of all kinds of data, plus when you sync to itunes all of your data is uploaded to Nike's website... and if you did really well either Lance Armstrong or Paula Radcliffe tells you that you ran further or faster than you ever did. Simply amazing, esp. for $29.99. The motivation that it has given me is priceless.

the Nike website is Applerific

The problem with the ipod is that it is a little inaccurate, which if you aren't running very far doesn't really matter. But when you have to run 14.5 miles to get it to think that you ran 13.1 it's a different story. So the interface (pictured above) is incredible. The grape Apple Kool-aid is my fav. But my training log, pace per mile, all that stuff is getting to be more and more important.

So, I bought the latest and greatest thing EVER!!! The Garmin 305, wrist mounted GPS unit. It slices, it dices, it juliennes. It's a little Dick Tracyish, but I don't care. It tracks elevation, distance, heartrate, time, pace... AHHHH!!! Information. Overloading. System.

Look at these graphs...

and that's not all... are you ready... GOOGLE MAPS!!! Of your run...
but wait... It get's cooler... WATCH THE RUN ON THE MAP!! Surely, you can't be serious?!? I am serious, and don't call me Shirely." Here's the link for that.

So, look for emails and what not from me, whenever the run is particularly cool.

And look at this one more thing... It's a picture of our Honored Hero, Olivia Cheek. The gadgets and fun aside; all this running is for Olivia and all the other kids and adults struggling with Leukemia and Lymphoma.
She is a happy and healthy 4 year little girl... who, thankfully, is cancer free now. But her health didn't come without a struggle. TEAM in Training, who I'm working with, helps raise money for research and to help families like Olivia's fight against cancer. If you want to help, please donate to the cause. Your support really does make a difference.

No comments: